Prep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes 7 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional: Tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chiles and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and heavy cream. If desired, top with tortilla chips, cheese and jalapenos.
Creamy White Chili Tips
How do you make white chili thicker?
Prefer your chili recipes a little thicker? Reserve 1 cup of the beans and mash in a bowl, and then stir into the chili. Four ounces of cubed cream cheese added in the last 10 minutes of cooking will also thicken the chili slightly.
What goes well with white chicken chili?
Cornbread and chili go hand-in-hand. Try this Colorful Cornbread Salad for a fresh, crisp twist on a classic favorite.
Where does white chili come from?
There isn’t a simple answer to that! But while there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on where white chili originated, we can all agree that it’s positively delicious.
Research contributed by Catherine Ward, Taste of Home Prep Kitchen Manager
1 cup: 334 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1045mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 22g protein.
Here are 10 wonderful recipes to get you through even the harshest Canadian winters: JACKFRUIT STEW WITH CASHEW CHEESE BISCUITS It tastes just as good as it sounds. There are many variations on this Canadian-inspired recipe, but a highlight includes the combination of...
Image Credit-Baby Boomster I have a few dresses I love to wear around the house because they keep me cool and breezy. I call them my shmattes, which is the Yiddish word for rags, and I wear them until they fall apart. We often think of...
Image Credit-Baby Boomster turning fifty is a milestone event, especially for women the world over. It’s often a transition point when nests empty, careers change, and priorities shift. It inspires a decade of renewal, a desire to reflect on your life and consider the...
Image Credit-SIXTY+ME Image Credit- SIXTY +ME There are people who love chatting about books. Then there are others who have no desire to join a book club. Which are you? If you believe you are the latter, please continue, gentle reader. Join a Book Club: You May Just...